As I sit here collating this list of AWESOME fun fall family activities I find myself longing for the quintessential Fall day…..gorgeous colors, the soft comforting embrace of a sweater, smooth warm cappuccino on a dewy October morning, picking apples, carving pumpkins, pumpkin pie, apple fritters, adorable little kiddos in their Halloween costumes, fall festivals, and so much more! I can’t wait!! It is one of the absolutely most magnificent season to experience in Toledo Ohio! But don’t blink, it goes by way too fast so be sure to get all these fun events on your calendar now so you can relax, enjoy, and soak in all the splendor that is Fall!
1. Little Boo at the Zoo (for strollers & preschoolers) & Pumpkin Path (for the older kiddos…this one is spread out more and has more candy stops!) For Little Boo and Pumpkin Path, the Zoo will be taking part in the Teal Pumpkin Project™ and offer non-candy treats at select stations this year. These stations will be signified with a teal-painted pumpkin and signage.
2. Gust Brother’s Farm (Visit with the fam animals…cows, pigs, bunnies, roosters, etc. for FREE But make certain you bring some cash for a donut treat and possible hayride…very economical Fall Family Fun!)
3. MacQueen’s Apple Orchard (Everyone and their brother attends their Apple butter Festival, it is usually crowded but fun! Feels like you are a part of something really special and chances are you will run into friends)
4. Erie Orchard-(Pick apples and pumpkins! Awesome weekend activities for families ALL there weekends are a blast!….Kids Weekends include magic shows, pony and hay rides, and so much more! Make certain you get one of their apple fritters….SO GOOD!!)
5. Fleitz Pumpkin Farm (Mini-corn maze, hay rides, goats, chickens, straw tower, corn sandbox, and more!)
6. Hoen’s Greenhouse & Garden Center (Fall Festival – A Family Weekend (2nd weekend in Oct) U-Pick Pumpkin Patch, Fall Decorating Items: Cornstalks, Straw, Indian/Broom Corn, Gourds & Much More!)
7.Sandpiper Fall Color Cruise (2 hour cruise; enjoy seeing the Fall colors will sipping hot cider and tasty donuts!)
8 Sandpiper Halloween Boo Cruise (non-scary, 30 minute boat ride, costumes welcomed, on $5!!)
9. Butterfly House Corn maze This year’s theme, Finding Dory! The 2016 Season begins on September 17 thru October 30. Friday, Saturday, & Sundays only. Kids of all ages will enjoy navigating through some of their all-time favorite characters. There are four different mazes all suitable to different levels of skill. You can go through one maze or all four, which can take up to two hours. For those that enjoy a challenge, there are 24 hidden checkpoints in the maze. Be sure to bring your flashlights if you are planning on visiting at night!
10. Pumpkin Peddler (Fun family activities…Hay rides, face painting, pumpkin maze, etc.)
11. Country Lane Tree Farm-(Milk a real cow, feed goats, lamas, etc. hold adorable baby animals, corn cannon shoot, corn maze, barrel train ride, pony rides….and this is a fun one for the older crowd… Haunted Hayride!!)
12. Applebutter Fest in Grand Rapids (Historical re-enactments, pioneer demonstrations, crafts, music, food, and family fun along the beautiful Maumee River)
13. Wolcott House- Paranormal Activity (For the big kids-Take a candlelit night tour of the historic Wolcott House where paranormal events have been documented within its rooms over the years. After seeing a short film on the Wolcott family and their time in Maumee, a docent will take you through the rooms in the historic home and relate the strange happenings that have taken place within its walls.)
14. Wolcott Heritage Complex (Enjoy an afternoon of family time together. Listen to live music or enjoy a story at the log house. Youngsters can make a craft to take home and so much more. Cost: Free!)
15. Old Road Dinner Train Kids Halloween Express (Make reservations now! Hot dogs, chips, cider, and donuts, fun kid activities, & costume contest!)
16. Imagination Station – Monster Bash (Trick your eyes and treat your mind at this haunting members-only event filled with spooky activities and demonstrations!)
17. Sauder’s Village Family Fun Nights (There is something magical about being in the Village after hours! Register now to take part in their sixth annual Fall Family Fun Night! Take a hay ride in our tractor driven trolley, make a cordage bracelet and a fall themed craft to take home, enjoy pumpkin and cookie decorating, take an evening train ride, and warm up with hot cocoa Space is limited so register early!)
18. Downtown Sylvania Fall Festival and Parade! A longstanding Sylvania tradition, the Sylvania Fall Festival returns even bigger and better this year! Several dozen food, craft, informational and other vendor booths will line Main Street, Tree City’s historical throughway. Everybody’s perennial favorite, the fall festival parade, will energize the town from Monroe to Main Street, led by the Northview High School Marching Band. Catch a stage performance at the corner of Main and Maplewood, explore Sylvania Historical Village and celebrate community when you join us for the 31st Annual Sylvania Fall Festival!
19. Trick or Trot 5K Run at Fallen Timbers– (have kiddos dress in costume, this is for a great cause, and lost of fun!)
20. OctoBOOfest Downtown Perrysburg October 29th
21. Olander Park Halloween Hike! Kids 12 & under; children MUST be accompanied by an adult guardian Admission: $1 donation for ages 3 to 12; 2 & under FREE With the generous support of Meijer, superheroes and Pokémon will bound all around Lake Olander at the annual Halloween Hike, TOPS’ most popular family event! Kids 12 & under collect treats at 20 stations as storytellers tell friendly tales of the Enchanted Evening! The Hike is family-friendly and not intended to scare children.
22. Fort Meigs Garrison Ghost Walk – (Come to Fort Meigs for a “spirited” stroll this fall at the Garrison Ghost Walk. Tour the fort with your 1812 guide and encounter the spookier side of this historic place. The whole family will enjoy hearing tales from the past, and while the ghosts may not be real, the fun certainly is! Proceeds from this event go to the Old Northwest Military History Association. Reservations are required).
23. Valentine Theatre Silver screen Classic Films– (October 30th @ 7:30pm Young Frankenstein…tickets are only $5 & they offer Tall Drafts, Full Bar, and Popcorn!!)
24. Cedar Point Hallow Weekends!! (This one pretty much speaks for itself!! Fun festivities for kids during the day. Nights are recommended for the older crowd…Cedar Point after dark is scary fun!!)
25. Lighthouse Landing Fall Festival– (Indoor and Outdoor Fall Festival in Lighthouse Landing Art, Antique, and Craft Mall parking lot…includes, crafters, artists, business’s, local schools to entertain the peeps, direct sales vendors, and people with pumpkins and other produce to setup)Saturday October 01, 2016 10am-4pm, Lighthouse Landing Art, Antique, and Craft Mall 4441 N Summit St Toledo, OH 43611
26. Trick-or-Treat for Tots Halloween Celebration at Franklin Park Mall Oct. 28th 10am-12pm Children six and under are invited to put on their costumes and head to Franklin Park Mall for indoor trick-or-treating, fall crafts, a photo booth character apperances and more!
27. Toledo Symphony Family Series – Halloween Spooktacular (This is a favorite Halloween tradition! Have the kiddos come dressed in costume for the costume parade! In the past they allowed the kiddos to get up close and personal with instruments (like an instrument petting zoo!) and played spooky classics everyone knows and love. Best part, kids have an opportunity to walk across the stage in their costume parade….make sure the costumes are stage ready, moms!)
28. Roche de Bouef Festival in Waterville (Event the entire family will enjoy! Parade starts at 10am! Children will love the kids’ zone & parents can shop for beautiful art and one of kind items. Take a journey back in time with their Pioneer Village, see amazing cars in the car show, and enjoy wonderful music and entertainment throughout the day).
29. Wauseon Chili Cook-Off WAUSEON CHILI COOK-OFF*FAMILY FEST 2016 September 24,2016
30. Trabbic Pumpkin Farm-hay rides, pick your own pumpkins & more (Harvest Mass October 2nd)
Don’t see one of your favorite Fall family activities on the list? Have a great Fall event you want to share? Please feel free to add it to the comments.