There is nothing better than spending quality time as a family. However, a nice weekend away can soon go downhill if you haven’t planned properly. Below, you will find some top tips on planning the perfect weekend getaway to help you get started.
- Don’t try to do too much in one day – One of the biggest mistakes people make when planning a weekend getaway is trying to do too much. It is understandable; you are going to visit a new place, and there are so many things to see and do. However, you can’t cram everything into one weekend, nor should you try. If everyone is rushing from one place to the next, they won’t enjoy themselves, and it will start to feel like a chore. Instead, schedule one major activity per day. A Christian travel agency can help you plan the perfect trip itinerary if needed.
- Blend the fun with the educational – There are plenty of great attractions across the UK that are fun yet educational. The World of Glass in St Helens, Merseyside, is a good choice, as there are artisanal events and workshops for all ages. You probably already know about the Science Museum in South Kensington, London. It has five floors of exhibits, which will amaze and delight. There is no better introduction to science for kids. Castles are also a lot of fun while being educational too, and there are plenty of those across the country.
- Bring sleep essentials – While it is important to pack light, you shouldn’t leave sleep essentials at home. This refers to any items that are crucial for your kids’ sleep. After all, we all know how important sleep is, especially for children. It can make or break a vacation. For some added comfort, pack pillows and take the blanket they snuggle into every night.
- Don’t take your own vehicle – If you have a large car, this point won’t apply. However, the last thing you want to do is cram you, your partner, your two kids and all of your luggage into your Vauxhall Corsa. Cheap car rentals are easily accessible nowadays, especially when you only need the vehicle for a few days. It is so important to make sure that everyone is comfortable throughout the long journey, and it is easy to underestimate just how much room luggage will take up.
- Don’t leave at 3 p.m. on a Friday afternoon – Are you thinking about finishing work early so you can head off for the weekend? Unfortunately, everyone else has the same idea. Instead, wait until after dinner. That way, you can let the kids fall asleep in the car, making the journey easier for everyone.
- Choose a destination that is hosting a festival – Last but not least, it is always a good idea to choose somewhere that is hosting a festival on the weekend you are visiting. It does not matter whether the theme particularly interests you, as there are bound to be carnival rides, delicious food stalls, and maybe even a petting zoo for the kids to enjoy. This will make your weekend an instant success for your little ones.