The kiddos and I stopped by the orchard and grabbed some apples and zucchini…3 for a $1, no brainer right?! We ate up two of those zucchini that evening for dinner. Hmmm…what to do with that last zucchini? Zucchini bread! But not just any ordinary zucchini bread, we were going to make Zucchini, dark chocolate, and fig bread! Why dark chocolate and fig? Well, everything taste better with chocolate and we have a huge bag of dried figs that momma can’t eat all on her own (though I am totally up to the challenge. Haha! I love a good figs, pecans, and Greek yogurt, with a bit of honey parfait, AMAZING!). To be entirely honest I had no idea what this bread was going to taste like but I knew the girls and I would at least enjoy the experience of making it and the anticipation of tasting it. So we popped in a Billie Holiday CD and measured the ingredients….spoiler alert, the bread was delicious…I say was because our family went through both loaves in the matter of 2 days!!
4 cups white whole-wheat flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cup low-fat milk
4 large eggs
1-1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup dried figs
1 cup chocolate chips
(Makes 2 loaves)
- Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix milk, eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Shred Zucchini and cut figs then add to wet ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and add chocolate chips.
- Spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray so bread doesn’t stick.
- Bake bread at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes (check center of loaf to make certain it’s backed all the way through)
- Cool for at least 15 minutes, very hot!!
Enjoy! Then place rest in fridge…taste fresher when kept in the fridge…try it! Makes a great after school snack…if it last that long. Haha!