Movie Night: Need your suggestions please!

Our good friends, you know the ones that are contagious, the ones that are so much fun, kind, considerate, and just make you feel all around better after hanging out with them? The ones were you find yourself counting down the days till your next visit? Yep, those friends were back in town visiting family and friends this past week/weekend and we tried to soak up as much time as allotted by their busy schedule.  We had a chance to meet up at Story time last week and we had a Moms’ Sleep Under Night (instead of a sleepover night…more to in a future blog) Friday evening that was a lot of fun but we wanted one last visit, if possible.  I guess that’s what you get when you are such great people, friends and family what to hang out with you all the time and they simply can’t get enough, lol!

Though, I understand and realize that running from one relative to the next, one friend’s to the next, and one activity to the next can become exhausting. So, since it was toward the end of their visit and the kiddos had been on a sporadic schedule, including sleep schedule, and their mommy had to have been getting towards her wit’s end (though she would never show it, she has such poise, no matter what the situation) I tried to think of a relaxing activity for both the kiddos and moms.  Then it came to me, Movie Night!!

So, in our travels that day we stopped at Target and the kiddos picked out some treats for movie night. They decided on popcorn, animal crackers, and apple juice, yum! Then we headed home and prepped the family room for Movie Night.  We moved the coffee table, brought down a quilt to lie on the floor for added comfort and easy clean-up, and added cozy pillows.

Then came the most difficult part of the evening, determining which movie to watch? We have a nice selection of girl movies (Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Barbie, etc.), boy movies (Batman, Spiderman, etc.) , and then as my son states, baby movies (Winnie the Pooh, Elmo, Veggie Tales but I think that is for older kids too, though he begs to differ). Where we are lacking is in movies that are great for a general audience, boys, girls, and toddlers.  We have a few like The Chipmunks (which they unanimously voted on Chipmunks: Shipwrecked), Toy Story 3, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and A Bugs Life but we would like to expand our selection for Family Movie nights as well as Movie Night with friends. So please share…..

What are your kiddo’s favorite movies?  Likewise, what are some movies we should steer clear of? What kind of snacks do you serve during Movie Nights?

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Categories: Family Movie Night, Kids Movie Night, Movie Night, Uncategorized

8 Comments on “Movie Night: Need your suggestions please!”

1. Inga
    June 5, 2012 at 4:42 pm #

We like the kid movies, but we have added some classics and old musicals. The kids loved Singing in the Rain. We bought Sound of Music because we rented it so many times. We usually fast forward through a couple of small sections that deal with some of the issues leading up to WWII.

• June 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm #

Classic and Musicals, that is a great idea! I remember watching those when I was a child, especially The Sound of Music, I would even start dancing and singing with all the Von Trapp children, lol! I might see what Costco’s has available the next time we go, sometimes that have a bundle of DVD classics. Thanks for the great suggestions Inga!

2. June 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

We do movie night almost every Friday. They have to agree upon a movie…lucky I have ALL boys. Some of our favorites: Rio, Chipmunks (even the classic cartoons), Up, Puss & Boots, & Christmas Dinosaur. We usually do popcorn or Goldfish and I always sneak a little treat in there like M&Ms.

• June 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Cartoon classic, perfect!! I’ll have to checkout Rio, I think that is on Netflix. And I like the idea of sneaking in a few M&Ms, I am totally going to start adding a fun sweet treat on the bottom of their popcorn contains. Such great recommendations and ideas, thank you!!

3. June 16, 2012 at 6:04 pm #

My youngest two could care less about the movie part so we usually go for things our six year old will like. He loves documentaries (current favorite is DIVE), scifi (Star Wars), and cartoons (Gnomeo and Juliet, The Ant Bully, Up, etc).

• June 18, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

Documentaries, that is a great idea!! Dive looks pretty interesting http://documentaryheaven.com/dive/ Thank you for helping me broaden the selection of movies we view for Movie Night.

• June 28, 2012 at 2:41 am #

We will also sometimes do a series and watch an episode or two on movie night until the series is done (or at least we have watched all the eps offered on Netflix!). We watched Merlin together (my oldest asks at least once a week if there are new episodes yet–he is impatiently waiting for the next season to hit Netflix :p) and wow, we had so many really great discussions about history and people and good vs bad and mythology and tons of other stuff. I thought it might be a little above his head and that he wouldn’t like it (it was his request to see it because it had dragons in it) but it was one of those times where he amazed me with his ability to question and then understand some pretty complex issues 🙂 It even helped him work through some issues he had had at school–Merlin came into our life at just the right time to help him with some things 🙂

If your kids are interested in food, Fresh is a pretty good documentary about small farmers versus big farming. My son LOVED “What’s on Your Plate” because it was made by two kids and he really identified with them. Plus now he eats carrots without complaint and even asks for them 😉

we watched “Gifted Hands: the Ben Carson Story” and it was a big hit. Of course, that may be because Iz had open heart surgery so my oldest is fascinated by surgery and surgeons and how it can save babies and children 🙂

enough rambling 😉 I have laundry to do before I go to bed :p

• June 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm #

Lol! I hope you were able to get your laundry done, I know how that goes. You are not rambling at all, in fact you offered some wonderful suggestions and the timing could not be more perfect. It just so happens that we just returned from the pediatrician’s office and my kiddos have been exposed to a highly contagious virus…so looks like we will have a few movie nights in our immediate future. I will be checking off your suggestions one at a time, I can’t wait to checkout Merlin, sounds very intriguing. Thank you so much….my dryer beckons. Would it be wrong to just put children in disposable clothes when they are sick? Lol!