Day 5: Ready to throw in the towel, and then…I counted my blessings

The day started off like any ordinary day with breakfast, feeding the cat and dog, doing laundry, tidying, the kiddos played a game of basketball, made a fort, watched a movie (did you know there is a  Leave it to Beaver movie?) etc.

Then the kiddos inquired, “What else can we do today”? I stood there for a few minutes thinking to myself……Crap!! What can they do? What do we have left to do? We have done it all!! I am burned out!! I wish the children came with pause buttons.  Maybe I could somehow convince them that staring at the wall quietly for an hour was a game?  My brain has no more ideas, I am out! Please, can I tag someone else in, please? Please God, please help!

Ring…Ring…Ring……

Me: Hello

Alison: Go look outside your door.

Me: What?

Alison: We dropped something off to get you guys through these last few days.

Me: No!! You are so kind. Thank you!!

So I opened the door and this is what I was greeted with……

She had left me a huge iced coffee and magazine, the kiddos a fun game, our toddler an Elmo book, our first grader a book she has read five times over because she likes it so much, and a Spiderman activity set for our little man. She left us a bucket full of what I call “sanity”. I don’t think there are enough words in the English language for me to express my gratitude. And the timing, the timing couldn’t have been more perfect. I felt like I was mere seconds from officially losing my mind.

But that’s not all….for dinner, I was off the hook. I didn’t cook because my parents had arrived back in town and showed up with this…..

That’s right!! Bob Evans down on the farm. It was like a mini Thanksgiving feast, precisely what we needed, what we craved, comfort foods! It was so nice to have a hot delicious meal that I did not have to cook. And for dessert…that’s right, they brought dessert too! Baskin Robbins!! I almost cried, tears of joy of course…the love was so intense.

But wait there is more….

While eating our neighbor stopped by to kindly inform me that our tire was low on our SUV parked out front and he was concerned about me driving the children around town with a low tire. He also brought over treats for our dog that was in need of a little TLC. His bad leg and healing process kind of got pushed to the back burner when the kiddos came down with HFMD. Don’t get me wrong, I still gave him his meds but we were not as attentive after the kiddos got ill.

…and more….

In the evening we put our toddler down to sleep and let the older two kiddos stay up and play Fruit Ninja, the game that was in the “sanity bucket” that Alison had dropped off.  It was so much fun, just the four of us playing a game together; we had never done that before. It is amazing how an act of kindness can evolve into a memory to cherish.

Then, once the children where in bed I checked my email, blog replies, and facebook while cleaning up the day’s mess.  The first comment I read was this one in response to the Day 4 post, from a good friend Tammy…..

You had no idea your kids were sick, please don’t be too hard on yourself! I’m sure the other family understands that if you knew you wouldn’t have been there. You have done a great job entertaining the kids this past week and keeping as much sanity as humanly possible. After the kids go to bed, pour a glass of wine, take a warm bath, play some relaxing music…you deserve it! Nothing needs cleaned or washed that is more important than taking time for yourself.

Precisely what I needed to hear, today my prayers were answered.  I needed someone else to tag in and boy did God listen!! He tagged in my amazing parents who are also amazing grandparents; they have given me the skills, faith, and fortitude necessary for life and that is a gift that is truly priceless. God tagged in and has blessed me with an amazing group of friends who have been so supportive throughout this entire ordeal. Friends who have their own lives, issues, family, children, wedding to plan, family trips/vacations, etc. but yet have taken a moment to think about my family…thank you Alison, Lilly, Tammy, Allie, Jill, Cheryl, Mary, and ALL my dear friends for your replies, texts, emails, and  words of encouragement and support.

I think I know precisely what we can do for the family I spoke of yesterday. The family who contracted HFMD from us, I would like to pay it forward and drop off a “sanity bucket “and dinner for them on day 5, when it is needed most.

As I lay in bed last night I thought about how I almost lost my cool today. How I had prayed to God to please help me get through the day and boy was my prayer answered.  I also thought about all those moms out there who have children with compromised immune systems. Moms like Piper and the Kids,  and a dear friend Allysa whose daughter is undergoing surgery today, who have to endure weeks, even months of staying indoors so that their children’s lives will not be compromised. I don’t know how they do it!  I pray for all those moms today who are quarantined to a home, hospital room, etc. with a child. I pray that they have a strong support system of friends and family.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Categories: blessings in disguise, HFMD, Uncategorized

10 Comments on “Day 5: Ready to throw in the towel, and then…I counted my blessings”

1. Alison
    July 4, 2012 at 4:00 am #

I am so glad you got some relief yesterday! I actually got to your house later than planned, but it sounds like the timing worked out better that way. You are always busy doing so much for everyone else, you definitely deserved a break! BTW if you are also needing some comic relief there is a really funny Jim Gaffigan stand up special currently on Netflix that is hilarious. It is called “Mr. Universe” and it is actually pretty clean too. Hang in there and I will see you on Thurs!

• July 9, 2012 at 7:18 pm #

The timing was perfect Alison. I am totally going to checkout “Mr. Universe”. We saw Jim Gaffigan in person and I think he is hilarious, thanks for sharing and thank you again for the sanity bucket. You are such an amazing friend and I am so blessed to have you in my life. See you soon!

2. July 4, 2012 at 3:43 pm #

Thanks for the kind thoughts 🙂 We have had to be cautious about exposure for so long that it just seems normal for the most part :p It is hardest on my boys! Iz has her next cardiologist appointment in early August and if her heart/lung function has improved enough, we may get to relax a little. We won’t know what to do with ourselves 😉

I hope all went well with your friend Allysa’s daughter’s surgery. It is most definitely a difficult day when you have to hand over your little one for surgery–tomorrow will be ten weeks since Iz’s surgery and I still feel anxious when I think about it!

• July 5, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

As moms we have this need to want to make certain our children are content. And that has got to be a struggle for you since you have a child that has a compromised immune system pair with two young boys. I don’t know how you do it! I completely understand why you do it, that’s easy, unconditional love. But I have no idea how you do it! Moms like you amaze me; I don’t how you go on when you are at your wits end, where do you find the necessary strength, fortitude, compassion, love, patience? This experience has really opened my eyes to the fact that beside every child who is going through something that compromises their health, or other children’s/peoples health, there is a mother. Thank you for your support and kind words. Our prayers are with you, Iz, and your family. I look forward to reading your blog posts but I am especially excited to read what your post states come early August.
      Also, a friend of mine, Tammy, shared this cool blog with me, http://playathomemom3.blogspot.com/2012/06/bubble-girl-walk-in-bubble-adventure.html, it has some wonderful ideas for things to do at home with your kiddos. I am sure your boys, and even Iz, would really enjoy some of these.
      I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July with your family,
      Kat

3. Allysa
    July 5, 2012 at 2:29 am #

I have to start by saying thank for making me cry this morning. With everything you have going on with your kids and you take the time to be concerned about us. Thank You!

An I have to agree with piperandthekids; It does just become a part of your life, Its the only way of life. I have to say most of the time I dont even realize that something I am dealing with or going through has even effected me so much until the time has pasted and I am reflecting on it.

Even after 18 surgerys now (an you get use to the routine) It doesn’t make it any easier. Tuesday morning as I walked into the OR with her and sat her up on the bed my heart just started to race. An as I stood there with her with one hand holding hers and the other hold the mask ( that they use to put her under) I stay strong. Evan as little tears run down her cheek and she starts crying ” No mommy NO” I stay strong and tried to explain everything will be alright. But the minute her little eyes rolled in to the back of her head and I had to give her one last kiss before being escoted out, I crumbled and began to cry like a baby. All I wanted to do was stand there with her through the whole thing holding her little hand telling her she would be okay. But thats not how it works. The truth is even though I wanted the control I know I was not the one in control and no matter how hard I try to control things it is out of my hands and I just have to faith that everything with be alright. An somehow I always manage to find the strength I need to make it. I have a husband who loves me very much, amazing family who always have my back (even if im wrong), and some really really good friends who always seem to know what to say to help me back up when I have fallen!

For the record her procedure went well and she came out of sedation like a demon. She was mad at the world and looking for a fight when she woke up( which made me smile). We are still wait for test result and consulting with other doctors but everything is good.

Thank you for your concern for my Emily!

• July 5, 2012 at 2:47 pm #

Talk about crying….I lost it when you stated, “Even as tears run down her cheek….” to hold it together and give a persona of strength in order to comfort your daughter knowing that is what she needs is unconditional love exemplified, what a selfless act. 18 surgeries! To do this 18 times! I am so happy to read that the procedure went well. We continue praying for you, your hubby, and sweet Emily,
      Kat

4. September 16, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

It sounds like you have great friends and neighbors… which must mean that you are a great friend and neighbor too! We all need help sometimes. We all get frustrated (some more than most. ie: me!) and then we all get through it. Thanks for directing me to read about it!!

• September 16, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

We really do have a great support network…and that is how I survived, with help from family and friends. I wish you the best, HFMD is not fun but on a more positive note it does allow you plenty of quality time with your kiddo. But after the quarantine is up I do hope you have a girls night planned because you will need it, lol!

• September 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm #

Lyla is finally feeling better and ironically I have a girls weekend planned to wine-tasting with my best friends planned for this weekend. Could not have worked out better. Thanks for your well wishes and for sharing your own experience with me!!!

• September 18, 2012 at 9:58 pm #

Happy to hear/read that Lyla is feeling better. How perfect is that… winetasting with your gals, well deserved! Sounds like a blast, have fun!