Tuesday’s Tip: Choose Joy

From a very young age my mother taught me that I have options and choices in life.  Of course there are the very obvious choices like what to wear in the morning, what book to read next, etc. But what she was referring to was how I chose to live my everyday life.  I could choose to be very cynical, I could keep “score” of other’s lives, complain and compare myself to others, etc. or I could find the joy.

I Choose Joy!

Granted my journey to Joy has not always been smooth and there have been a few bumps along the way but I think that is just part of the human process.  Every now and then I do have a moody moment and find myself caught up in cynicism.  It is in those moments that I take a step back and reflect on the situation and evaluate the issues.  I often find that the problem is fleeting and not worth surrendering my joy.  Taking down the Christmas decorations is the perfect example of a task in life where you have the option of complaining, making it a neutral task, or finding the joy.

Truth be told, I had initially planned on taking down the Christmas decorations and tree when the kiddos went to bed.  I figured it would just be easier that way and I could make certain everything was stored away properly.  I started going through a box in our dining room that contained Christmas gifts we had received and in it was a bunch of Gingerbread themed items.  My parents had given us the cutest basket full of nothing but Gingerbread men themed items like, a hot pad, tins, kitchen towels, large cookie pan in the shape of a gingerbread man, gingerbread  books, cups, plates, hot chocolate, and so much more.

gingerbreadmenstuff 003

I figured I would just pack it all away for next year.  Then it dawned on me that I, we, none of us, are guaranteed tomorrow, let alone next year.  And then I repeated the phrase I say to myself every morning after first thanking God for another day…Live today as if it is your first, last, and best day of your life!.

So, instead of making the process of taking down the Christmas tree and decoration a boring and/or tedious task I busted out the gingerbread men basket and I chose Joy!

feelings_gingerbread 055

First we sat near the Christmas tree and had hot chocolate, chocolate cover gingerbread men, and talked about our favorite memories from Christmas 2012. I asked the kiddos to point out their favorite ornaments and I in turn pointed out mine (the ornaments the kiddos made of course, they are priceless…their little handprints, fingerprints, artistic expression, and I adore those that illustrate all three).

feelings_gingerbread 058

feelings_gingerbread 063

Then I read two books, The Gingerbread man and Ten Gingerbread Men. We discussed the books then put on some music and started taking down the Christmas decorations.

We had successfully taken something that could have otherwise been meaningless and put some joy into it and possibly came up with a great new family tradition.

So, no matter what it is you have to get done today. Maybe it is changing the sheets, washing the floors, etc. put on some music and try to remove the idea that it need be a chore, add a little joy. Perhaps you have papers to grade, work that you need to bring home, light an aromatic candle, make your favorite beverage and sip on it while your finish your work, and add a touch of joy.  You have options in your life. Why waste this wonderful life you have been given on cynicism….what is keep you from your Joy?  We are not promised tomorrow, why waste today?

How do you find your Joy?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Tuesdays tip, Uncategorized

15 Comments on “Tuesday’s Tip: Choose Joy”

1. Claire
    January 8, 2013 at 2:12 pm #

I love this. Thank you for an awesome post.

2. January 8, 2013 at 5:57 pm #

This is a wonderful post and beautifully said! It is so easy to get caught up in life’s everyday hustle and bustle. This is a great reminder to appreciate every minute of the day, no matter what we’re doing.

Thank you for joining the Harvest of Friends Weekend Blog Hop this past weekend! ~Kelly Our Everyday Harvest

3. January 8, 2013 at 6:15 pm #

That’s great. We just made christmas sugar cookies yesterday…we’re a few weeks behind but they were delicious and fun just the same.

• January 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm #

I love that, it is reassuring to know that I am not the only one who wants to savor the season. What is the rush? It seems like some people are taking down there decorations Christmas night, what is the hurry? It is nice to know there are others choosing Joy too! Happy New Year!

• Claire
        January 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

I feel the same way. Last year one of my supervisors took down her tree and decorations on December 26th. To me that is just feeding into the commercial aspect of the season, where the Christmas decorations and music start before Thanksgiving and then end on Christmas night at midnight. Personally, I would love to keep my decorations up until Baptism of the Lord, but by New Year’s Day my tree was dropping lots of needles. Plus, my son’s birthday is January 8 (today!), so I like a few days in between the Christmas decorations and his birthday. Anyway, I think there’s a lot to be said for doing things like Christmas cookies after some of the hustle and bustle settles down, so you can really savor the experience.

• January 13, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

I hope your son had a wonderful birthday. I agree it is nice to have sometime between birthdays and Christmas decorations. Also, when it comes to a real tree verses an artificial safety is the number one concern!

4. January 10, 2013 at 1:42 am #

Awe. What a sweet post. Funny, I usually take the Christmas decor down myself, but this year I chose to do it on a day my girls were home. We had eggnog, hot cocoa and listened to Christmas music as we UNdecorated. 🙂
    Life can be tough at times, but it is definitely more beautiful than not. I choose joy too.
    I had ablog over a year ago and took a braek, but I just started a new business and website, I’d love to have you check it out or follow me on FB. 🙂

• January 11, 2013 at 3:51 am #

It is so nice to read that another momma enJOYed an otherwise tedious task. Delia I am on my way…off to follow you (that sounds creepy but you know what I mean, lol!).

5. January 10, 2013 at 5:07 pm #

What a cute gift idea and what a beautiful way to incorporate it a mundane task to make it a joyful one. Found you through Bloggy Moms.

• January 11, 2013 at 3:47 am #

Thanks for visting Pary Moppins, love the name! I just checked out your blog post, I am totally going to make Moroccan Tagine w/Easy Tabbouleh, YUM! I am following you and can’t wait to read more of your posts!

6. January 10, 2013 at 9:56 pm #

Words of wisdom! I would love to have you share this on The HomeAcre Hop!

• January 11, 2013 at 3:41 am #

Thanks Garden of Lisa. I am headed over to The Home Acre Hop now…can’t wait!

• January 11, 2013 at 1:58 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing on the hop! It’s great to have your words reach even more people to remind them to choose joy!