Chick-fil-A (Need I say more?)

I toyed with the idea of posting this yesterday, or even at all.  I figured enough has been said, I won’t bother. But then I started reading comments on facebook that called those who purchased Chick-fil-A yesterday haters. That is when I knew I needed to say something.  I am not a hater. I love. I forgive. If I have something you need I am more than happy to share, donate, and give. I believe all people; including Gays and Lesbians have a right to live as they choose. That being stated, they don’t have the right to redefine marriage for all of us.

Here are some pictures from yesterday…

This is a serious topic and one that is very near and dear to my heart, Marriage.  My grandparents on my father’s side were married for 47 years, my grandparents on my mother’s for 44 years, my own parents have been married for 35 years, my in-laws for 43 year, and my husband and I will celebrate our 10th wedding Anniversary next April.  Those marriages, all combined welcomed over 17 children. The sanctity of Marriage and family is engrained in me and my children. I pray every night that my grandchildren and great-grandchildren will experience and know marriage as love between a man and women that gives way to family.

I do not want my grandchildren to think that one-half of humanity, either mothers or fathers, are dispensable.

What is your stance? (Don’t worry, I am not a hater. You can speak/type freely. I am grown-up enough to handle opposing views. I do believe that what you have to say is important so please share. But it would be appreciated if you did it in a cordial manner, thank you)

Tags: , , , ,

Categories: Marriage, Uncategorized

7 Comments on “Chick-fil-A (Need I say more?)”

1. August 3, 2012 at 7:19 pm #

When the owner first made this announcement I was very upset about it. I don’t think an owner of a big company should make statements that single out a certain population and make them feel uncomfortable coming in to their establishment. BUT, the more I thought about it I realized he is entitled to his opinion and if he chooses to go public with it he has that right. That’s why we live in America! I think it’s a bad business decision on a couple fronts. First, in restaurants where there has been a decrease in sales he is really hurting his franchise owners, managers, and employees. Second, as I stated before, why make a population feel uncomfortable. Unfortunately, public statements like this seem to bring out more hate. If you go to Chick-Fil-A’s Facebook page there are people using slurs against homosexuals, making jokes that are in bad taste, and just being nasty. I don’t like seeing that at all. Also, I had a large lesbian clientele in our RV business. I would never have good public with a statement for or against gay marriage or other controversial subject simply because I wouldn’t want to single out any of my customers, create animosity, or lose customers.
    I applaud you for standing in line at the mall the other day and standing up for what you believe in. As long as you aren’t participating in the negative name calling and mean spiritedness of some people I don’t think anyone should consider you a hater.
    For the last year I have been giving a lot of thought religion and where I fit in, how I feel about the teachings of the Bible. I believe in God and the teachings of the Bible but I also believe that the Bible is a guide. After so many interpretations there are a lot of things that may have been altered and you always have to take that in to consideration.
    I support gay marriage. I support adoption by homosexuals. I believe being gay is not a choice. I wouldn’t choose to live a life that is not accepted by mainstream America. They have a lot of challenges being accepted and living normal lives “out of the closet”. Statistically lesbians have the longest lasting relationships compared to other couples. And when 50% of heterosexual marriages end in divorce it makes me wonder if the homosexuals are more stable in their long term relationships. Our kids won’t “catch” gay from being around homosexuals. So I have no problem with Katie being exposed to the different life style. And I have no problem explaining to her that some men like men or women like other women and that’s ok. We are all different in some way.
    I can also see where I could have a harder time with your point of view because I come from a family where my parents are divorced two or more times. And you could have a hard time with my point of view because of the lower rate of divorce in your family. But, this what makes us different, unique and interesting?!

• August 3, 2012 at 9:24 pm #

Tammy you have brought up some strong points. Let me first address the fact that it is so sad that there are people using slurs against homosexuals on the Chick-fil-A facebook page. This is really disheartening because all the individuals who I came in contact with in line were nothing but kind and compassionate individuals. Unfortunately there are people out there who use words to hurt and this is not acceptable and this is why I needed to state what I stated, I do not want to be lumped into the same category as those who speak destructively about others.
      I think what many people are forgetting is that Chick-fil-A is run by a Christian (remember they are closed on Sundays). It has been this way for years so I am not sure why everyone has been so surprised when he stated his stance on marriage. It would be like asking a Jewish individual their stance on Kosher food and then ridiculing them for not liking food that wasn’t Kosher.
      I find your statistics quite interesting. I am curious, how many lesbian and gay couples where in that sample population compared to heterosexuals? I only state this because the gay and lesbian population is small in comparison to the heterosexual population. I am definitely interested in this study, if you have a chance would you send it my way please.
      I have a question for you, what parent could you live without, your mom or dad? Now, which parent, you or your hubby should be removed from your daughter’s life? How is Katie not having a mommy or daddy making her life better? Imagine her life without a Mommy. I understand that unforeseen circumstances occur and a child can lose a parent but this is a choice, from the very beginning, to only have two of the same sex people raise a child? I personally think that my life would be very very different if I had two fathers or vice versa.
      How wonderful is it that we can express two opposing viewpoints in a mature manner and still be friends, scandalous, lol! Talk about an intellectual discussion…to be continued….

• August 4, 2012 at 11:43 pm #

I am trying to find the paper I wrote last summer on love and marriage in the United States so I can find the articles and stats that I used.
        I think that having 2 same sex parents would be different but not necessarily bad, just different. I also think that kids that are adopted by same sex parents are better off than being in the care of the state. 2 loving parents same or different sex is better than no parents at all.

2. August 4, 2012 at 1:15 am #

II like you, struggled to figure out if I should post or not about this. I decided to, as well. Although my opinion varies slightly from yours. The problem of this issue is simple. The merging of a religious tradition (marriage) with participates receiving state benefits (i.e. tax benefits, protection in legal matters, including custody) clouds the issue. All Americans should have equal rights under the law, we should all share all the freedoms, not just some because they do not have traditional relationships.

I found it ridiculous that the supports were there to ‘support free speech’, they support freedoms, just not for everyone, for everything. You cannot pick and choose what freedoms an American can access, based on who they fall in love with.

My other thought on your post is this. Not allowing same sex marriage will not stop children from having two mommies or two daddies. Same sex couples will still have children; they just will not have equal rights to those children in the eyes of the law, one of them will still need to be the custodial parent, thus clouding custody in the event of tragedy.

• August 4, 2012 at 4:21 am #

I am so glad you decided to post, you have made some valid points.
      I agree that if medical proxies aren’t working, let’s fix that problem. If people need health care, let’s get them health care. The issue though isn’t benefits, it is marriage.
      And the poor children, you mentioned the legal issues that can evolve when same sex couples have children. When a child is conceived they have a mother and father, plain and simple, how did things become so complicated?
      Your comments are thought evoking. Thank you for sharing your stance Cyndi.

3. No Circ is Whole Son!
    August 8, 2012 at 6:14 pm #

I have zero problems with anyone wanting to marry anyone else as long as they are of a mature age to make the decision for themselves, at least 16 to 18. Gay, straight, inbetween, white, black, indian, chinese.

And, I do not understand the hypocrisy of the straight people. Our divorce rate is over 50%. We can’t do it right so why not let someone else teach us how! Or, on the other hand, let someone else see how it feels to get burned by divorce.

Just like with teaching my child subliminal racism (I strive not to do) by giving her only white baby dolls, white books, white people “toys, stickers” etc – I make sure her stuff is multi-cultural as well as her friends if possible.

Now, to limit subliminal prejudice and hypocrisy, I must limit her visitations to chick-fil-a. I will teach her that two boys can love each other. Her paper doll stickers, sometimes, their babies have two fathers or they have two mothers, or one is black and the other white.

So very sad the hate in America and this day and age. The ignorance is overwhelming.

• August 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm #

I agree that America is in a sad place right now and you addressed important points. Particularly with regard to the high rates of divorce which is one more reason we should be strengthening marriage, not conducting radical social experiments on it. Marriage is about bringing two sexes together, so that children get the love of their mom and a dad. I came across this article and I would like to share it with you, http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2012/08/6065
      I realize your time is valuable, that being said, if you have a second when you have finished reading it I would be very much interested in hearing your thoughts.
      Thank you for posting your stance and engaging in this discussion with me.
      Kat