Secret to Happiness

While reading through a couple blogs the other day I noticed a reoccurring topic, or rather, assumption. They were basically expressing that people a.k.a. strangers (can I just say how much I detest the word stranger. I always associate it with danger. Too bad we can’t come up with another term) are judgmental, unfriendly, and negative. I found myself suddenly feeling really sorry for these bloggers because I have to be honest; my experiences have very much been the opposite. I have had such wonderful, friendly, positive encounters with other. And I so badly wanted them to experience the same, to experience the happiness that comes from the simple exchange of smiles between strangers. Which had me wondering, how is it that my experiences differ so much from these bloggers’ experiences? Then it dawned on me that maybe it is me. Maybe it has something to do with what I put out into the world?

You get back what you put out into the world. Thus if you want to see more friendly and kind strangers than be a friendly and kind stranger. Like Gandhi said, “Be the change”. If you want the world to be better you need to be better. You need to look for the good. The next time a stranger is staring at you let your mind wander to a place of good, think…perhaps the person likes your outfit, or maybe they are simply in a daze, but do not allow your thoughts to go somewhere bad and assume the stare is one of judgment. For if your mind assumes others are judging you chances are, you guessed it, you are judging others!! Knock it off! You will NEVER find happiness that way.

So here it is the million dollar question, what is the secret to happiness? It has nothing to do with money, status, or career. The answer is rather simple; the power lies in the state of your mind! You decide how you want to interpret situations. How you want to portray yourself. How you want to react. How you want to see the world.

Secret-to-Happiness-Quote-1

Here is a fun little experiment to try. The next time you go out smile the entire time. Smile at strangers and watch how many smile back. I think you will be surprised.

And thank you to all you amazing strangers out there who smile back at me, who open the door for me, engage in light conversation, and help others out, you are amazing! You make our community a better place. Please don’t stop. And please understand if one day I am exhausted or running behind and simply get caught up in my own thoughts and don’t look up and smile. Please find it in your heart to forgive me and understand. I will gladly do the same for you.

What are your thoughts? Do you tend to encounter unfriendly or friendly strangers? Would you classify yourself as friendly?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Inspire, Uncategorized

8 Comments on “Secret to Happiness”

1. February 12, 2015 at 3:56 pm #

Love this. I tell my boys all the time that by just smiling at a random person in passing could brighten their entire day. You never know who could use it. Occasionally, you might come across someone who is totally rude, but usually they smile back.

• February 17, 2015 at 3:56 am #

I think that is awesome that you tell your boys that…it is so important that it is passed down to the younger generations! You rock! Look at us making the world a better place simply by smiling…it is simple, free, and often contagious! Thanks for sharing. Hope you made your day a magnificent one! 😉

2. koolaidmoms
    February 12, 2015 at 4:16 pm #

A saying in our house is “Fake it until you make it.” Even if you don’t feel happy or congenial go out and do something that makes someone else feel good. You will suddenly feel better too. Treat anger and hostility with kindness and understanding and people can suddenly change before your eyes.

3. February 21, 2015 at 12:27 am #

Thank you for liking me on Facebook! 🙂 In public, I am one to always smile at anyone I make eye contact with. It’s just how I was raised, it’s in my nature. I want to be that person who just might brighten someone else’s bad day with that smile. It’s always so nice when that smile is returned, or even pleasantries exchanged. In our grocery store up the street, it’s predominantly elderly people who unapologetically cut the little pregnant lady (me) off with their cart, or who return the friendly smile with a scowl… so it gets discouraging to try to be friendly in that environment. But, I keep trying anyway. Some people simply don’t REALIZE that they’re coming off as rude.

Luckily, this is not a problem everywhere I go! 🙂

Sending smiles your way!

• February 21, 2015 at 4:02 am #

Thank you for the virtual smile Innovative Mama 😉 I am sorry to read that you are amongst the grumpy old men/elderly but it is encouraging to hear that you keep your head up and keep smiling on! You sound amazing!! I am looking forward to reading your posts! And congrats on your future bundle of joy!! Cheers!! 😉

4. February 26, 2015 at 9:43 pm #

By the way, I posted on the topic of “happiness” and made reference to our conversation about smiling in it. 🙂

• March 1, 2015 at 1:02 am #

Thank you so much!! 🙂 I so enjoy your blog…I will be adding it to ‘blogs I follow’. You rock!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Happiness Project – Smiles and Finding the Silver Lining | The Innovative Mama - February 27, 2015

[…] also recently had a conversation with fellow blogger Mom on the go in Holy Toledo about smiling at strangers in public and how the results might surprise you. It made me think a little about the topic. I’ve always been a “public […]