Okay, so I tailgating often means you are eating food that mom usually wouldn’t approve of, but isn’t that part of the fun? My hubby would say yes! Well… to be more precise he would say something along the lines of…there is no Tofu in Tailgating! And he might be right? But why not think outside the box, or rather, the bun. We need not limit our tailgating experience to meats that fit in bun! Right!?!
Besides, tailgaters come in all different shapes, sizes, team colors, weird superstitions, and yes, each even has different dietary needs. So, if you hadn’t guessed, this Tuesday’s Tailgating topic is vegetarian tailgating recipes…. I am saying yes to Tofu and tossing the buns!
The first recipe is Asian inspired and I think it tastes scrumptious!
Asian Toasted Tofu (yummy side)
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- 1 cup peanuts (plain or honey roasted)
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bottle Kraft toasted Asian sesame dressing
- Marinade tofu in dressing for at least 30 minutes before grill….just enough dressing so that it is submerged, about half a bottle.
- Grill onions till tender.
- Grill Tofu for roughly 5-6 minutes on each side (this will vary depending on the temperature of your grill so keep an eye on it.
- Remove from grill and cut into bite sizes. Add peanuts, onions, and remaining dressing toss gently and enjoy!
Chili Cheese Burrito
- 1 can Chili Ready Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can Kidney beans
- 1 can blackeye peas
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 pepper diced
- 1 package of lightlife Smart Ground Original (faux beef)
- 8 cheese sticks (whichever type you prefer)
- 1 package tortillas (I like the whole grain)
- To make chili: Place chili ready tomatoes, black beans, kidney beans, blackeye peas, tomatoes, Smart Ground and pepper in slow cooker on medium heat for a couple hours before you plan on tailgating. Either leave in slow cooker or take entire container or place in smaller containers.
- Once you begin tailgating place the little griddle or aluminum foil on grill then add one tortilla, a couple tablespoons of the chili o the center of the tortilla, one cheese stick in the center of tortilla on top of chili and then top with a few slices of onion (I like mine grilled first but you do not have to grill them first).
- Leave on gill for about 4-5 minutes and remove once cheese starts to melt.
- For added texture and flavor … dab a tablespoon full of plain Greek yogurt in the center.
And for Dessert…Buckeye cakes! Yep, that’s right, I said Buckeye!
- 1 chocolate cake mix
- ½ stick of butter at room temperature
- 2 cup confession sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 Tablespoons of Milk
- Follow directions on the back of the cake mix box and cook in cupcake forms.
- For frosting…mix butter and peanut butter into mixer at medium speed. Add milk and slowly add sugar until it is the right consistency.
- Frost cupcakes after they have cooled otherwise the frosting will melt.
Enjoy! And go Bucks!!
And now for the giveaway!
I am not sure who had a chance to view the vlog from the first Tuesday’s Tailgating post so I thought I would include it here for those who did not view it so that you know more about the products that are in the giveaway.
This giveaway includes:
- Thermacell Mosquito Repellent Outdoor Lantern
- Grate Chef Stainless Steel Wipes (6 wipes)
- Grate Chef Non-Stick Grill Wipes (6 wipes)
- Grate Chef Firestarters
- Grate Chef The Groove All-in-one cleanser-filled scrubbing pads (3 pads)
- Grate Chef Flare Down
- Set of 4 Plate-N-cup
And is valued at $70!
In order to enter the giveaway you will need to
- Like Mom on the go in Holy Toledo facebook page (if you haven’t done so already)
- Follow Mom on the go in Holy Toledo blog
- Like Thermacell facebook page
- Like Grate Chef facebook page
And last but not least, comment to this post stating you have done all four and share what college football team or NFL team you root for!!