Date Night!! The two words every couple looks forward to, especially those with kids. It means a night away from the kiddos, to reconnect with your spouse, to remember why you fell in love in the first place. It is easy to get caught up in the responsibilities of adulthood & parenthood. That is why it is so important that you step away from it all for a few hours and have some fun, remember fun, that thing you did before you had a job, mortgage, kids, you know, before you had major responsibilities!?
Here are some FUN Date Night destinations you and your significant other are certain to enjoy:
1. Escape Game Experience (Fallen Timbers, Maumee) and/or Trapped Toledo (Toledo)- Locked in a room with a group of friends or strangers; you must use your wits and the group’s collective knowledge to find hidden clues, solve daunting puzzles and overcome challenges to escape before time runs out. Are you ready?
2. Murder Mystery Dinner Train– (technically not in Toledo but nearby) Fine dining with a murder mystery featuring their acting troupe and a rotating schedule of shows throughout the year. Be prepared to be part of the show in this intimate setting and WATCH OUT! You might even be the unfortunate soul who gets to be the VICTIM of their devious plot! (Rated PG-13 of course).
3. Sky Zone– Indoor Trampoline Park! Experience WOW – the weightlessness of bouncing, flipping and landing in a pit filled with 10,000 foam cubes. You and your spouse will experience the pure joy that comes with flying. They also have a basketball trampoline, dodge ball trampoline court, and more!!
4. Sandpiper– The Sandpiper is a 100 Passenger cruise vessel located on the Maumee River in Toledo, Ohio and offers fun events throughout the summer and fall. Here are a few fun date night events they offer but be certain to check out their website for more!
Musical Dinner Cruise What could be better than a relaxing cruise up the Maumee River enjoying traditional Hungarian fare from Tony Packo`s and the music of Kerry Patrick Clark.
Sunset & City Lights Cruise This is a breathtaking experience! Cruise up the Maumee River and view stately homes, yacht clubs and wildlife. Catch a sunset around Walbridge Park & return to downtown after dark and experience the city lights shimmering on the water. Snacks included.
Cigar Cruises on the Sandpiper Check out the new developments along the riverfront and enjoy a 2 hour smoke on the river. Bring your own cigars! If you wish bring your own picnic or order a Marco’s Pizza delivered to the boat and bring your own beverages too!
5. It’s Friday at Toledo Museum of Art– Each evening offers an ever-changing combination of events for adults and families including free tours, activities, live music, glassblowing demonstrations, wine tastings, and more. Click here to view the calendar.
6. 3rd Thursday Loop– The 3rd Thursday Loop (5:30-9pm and is $1) is presented in partnership with the arts and cultural institutions, organizations, and businesses of greater downtown Toledo and features a standardized bus loop each month designed to connect and highlight our city’s creative community and the unique culture of our downtown neighborhoods. This new program combines the former Art Walk series and Gallery Loop / Holiday Loop programs into one year-round monthly bus loop made possible through a special partnership with TARTA (Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority).
The 3rd Thursday Loop program offers an opportunity for Toledoans to use public transit in a new and exciting way in Downtown Toledo while exploring the city’s creative community and experiencing a new form of walkability in the Downtown area. Click here for more.
7. Jazz in the Garden at Toledo Botanical Gardens– Bring a blanket or chair and relax to smooth jazz nestled in the beauty of the Garden. A barbeque vendor will be on grounds for food purchase, bakery goods for sale on grounds, & guests may bring food, wine and beer. Cost: $10 general admission & $5 for Metropark Members. Thursdays, 6:30-8:30pm. Visit website for list of artists performing.
8. FREE Concerts on Saturday Evenings–FREE concerts at Ottawa Park Amphitheatre. Unwind on a warm Saturday evening as you enjoy great music performed by various local artists. Each show features a fun musical theme…blues, British invasion, classic rock, etc. and admission is FREE!
9. Black Cloister Brewing Company (Trivia on Thursdays)- They do things a little bit differently, in a good way! You can get your beer here and order up some delicious food from surrounding restaurants and or food trucks. Call ahead for a complementary tour!! Click here for more info.
10. War Zone Paint Games– Paintball & Lazar tag fun!! Click here for more info
11. Attend a Festival/Event- Black Swamp Festival, NW Ohio Rib off , Pizza Palooza!
12.Cleland’s-Archery range, Pistol range, lots of various events going on, be sure to check out the website for more info.
13. Ritter Planetarium– Located on the main campus of the University of Toledo, the Ritter Planetarium is your gateway to the Universe. Outfitted with a state-of-the-art digital projector and 5.1 surround sound, the Ritter Planetarium is capable of transporting you though space and time to view the wonders of the Universe. Click here for more info.
14. Mud Hens Game– Why not enjoy a good old fashioned game of baseball? Let’s Go HENS!! Click here for schedule and ticket info
15. Sundance Kid Drive-in Theatre-Spend an evening under the stars at The Sundance Kid Drive-In. The nostalgic 50’s style drive-in, located across from Pearson Park in Oregon, features Digital Cinema projection and FM Stereo sound. Two movies play on two screens April through October. Their concession stand has all your favorite treats prepared fresh daily. Lucky ticket gift winners drawn nightly! For times and showings click here
Here are a few suggestions to make your date night more economical:
- Whenever possible have family or friends watch your kiddos, perhaps even consider starting or being part of a babysitting co-op.
- Save up! Set aside a decided amount of money each week, say, $10 dollars, and at the end of the month you have $40 for your date night. Date Night can happen no matter what your budget is, it may mean sacrificing your lattés or convenience store purchases, but it is worth it!
- If you go out to eat beforehand don’t order drinks and consider splitting a dish…..you can go REALLY fancy if you order water to drink and split a meal (note that there may be a splitting fee but it is often cheaper than ordering an additional meal). Added bonus when you split a meal, you don’t feel as guilty ordering dessert!
- Inquire about possible coupons, deals; some places have deals on certain days.
Enjoy your time out, put your phones away, give each other your undivided attention, and most important, HAVE FUN!!