We made Christmas Elves last week with the intention of placing them on top of Mason jars filled with homemade hot cocoa mix for teacher’s gifts. But the kiddos fell in love with their little elves, gave each a name, and they are officially part of the family. Haha!
Here’s what you will need to make your elf:
- 2 felt sheets (two different colors…we chose a dark and light green but you can use any color you wish)
- A few pom-poms and buttons (one for hat, two for shoes, and any additional embellishment for hat trim)
- 1 wooden doll head (with hole in the bottom)
- 1 sharpie to make eyes/face
- ribbon for a small scarf or you could use some of the leftover felt
- crafts glue or hot glue gun
Draw an isosceles triangle (roughly 5inches in height and base of 3 ½ inches)
Cut out triangle
Place glue on one side of the triangle and rolled into a cone for the hat
Cut small trim for hat, 3-1/2 inches x ½ inch…(or whatever width your little helper like…haha!)
Glue trim to bottom of cone/hat
Glue head on pinecone
Glue Hat to head
Add embellishments to hat, pom-poms and/or buttons to top and side of hat.
Cut long skinny legs for the elf, roughly 7 inches long
Place glue on the first inch and roll up the felt for the shoes
Add pom-poms or buttons for shoes
Glue legs to bottom of pinecone
Add face with sharpie marker
Add ribbon or felt for a scarf
These little guys make great tree ornaments, gift toppers, decoration, and friends. Haha!
Do you have a favorite crafts you make during the holidays? Maybe a special Christmas ornament? Feel free to share. Also please feel free to share any links you may have with fun crafts.
FYI…I came across some great ideas at the inspiration exchange.