Imagination Kingdom

I don’t know what is more fascinating, the Imagination Kingdom or all the amazing people who made Imagination Kingdom possible! This project is a true example of what is possible when we all come together. We could all learn something from the community of Wauseon, Ohio.

spangler 131

Imagination Kingdom is a handicapped accessible playground located in Reighard Park, in Wauseon, OH. It is the first ever 100% plastic playground in Ohio. (Why plastic? Maintenance isn’t as much, it doesn’t require staining & sealing every year like wooden playgrounds, and as an added bonus parents don’t have to worry about kiddos getting splinters).  The playground project was funded, all $250,000, by a committee who solicited area businesses, organizations, and individuals. They also sold engraved pavers & fence pickets which can be seen as you walk up and around the playground. And get this, the playground was no only built by the community, but was entirely staffed by volunteers!! Ah-mazing!!

spangler 134

As we pulled up to Imagination Kingdom all I could hear was oohhs & aahhs coming from the back seats. “It’s a CASTLE!” screamed the 4 year old. The car had barely come to a complete stop and they were unbuckling and jumping out in pure elation and anticipation of the fun to be had! “I am going to be Rapunzel “, yelled out the 4 year old as she ran up to the castle. Meanwhile my 8 & 9 year olds ran off to explore. Mind you, there is no running off; the entire Kingdom is fenced in, a mother’s dream come true!! But it is large enough that they felt like they were exploring on their own.

spangler 143IK

spangler 163

spangler 149

We enjoyed a brief interlude from exploration to enjoy some jams!! How cool are these? They are by Sound Play.

spangler 136

spangler 140

From a parents perspective I like the fact that the Kingdom was separated.  Far too often little ones get trampled on by the big kids. It was nice that the little ones have their own space. I also like the fact that the big kid space and little kid space were right next to each other; it was easy for me to keep an eye on all 3 kiddos.

spangler 141

spangler 145ik

spangler 147ik

Imagination Kingdom is definitely a destination. You will want to linger for a little longer than most playgrounds, which is why I advise stopping by The Red Rambler on your way there and grabbing yourself a refreshment.

spangler 159

The iced coffee was delicious!! Or perhaps stopping in at Sullivan’s before or after you play. Or better yet, pack a picnic! But don’t forget your bug repellent, the mosquitos are bad this year. Your little princes and princesses are certain to enjoy all that the Imagination Kingdom has to offer, happy playing!!! Now of a sweet playground within a 60 mile radius of Toledo? Please share!! I was thinking it might be nice to have a list of all the clean, mom approved, and fun playground in the area.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Ohio Fun, Uncategorized

12 Comments on “Imagination Kingdom”

1. Heather
    July 3, 2015 at 3:51 pm #

Just an FYI.. During the summer Monday-Friday.. There is a FREE lunch for KIDS served at this park from 12-1245. Great food and there are crafts and other activities for the kids after the meal.

2. Taylor
    July 9, 2015 at 9:52 pm #

The school held a contest for the students to name this park! My niece is actually the one who got to name this park “Imagination Kingdom” and she got to cut the ribbon at the opening ceremony!

• July 9, 2015 at 10:29 pm #

That is awesome Taylor!! She came up with a fabulous name!! What a magnificent experience, to cut the ribbon at the opening…please tell me you took lots pictures!? Congrats to your niece and thank you so much for sharing! 😉

3. Jerry Matheny
    July 10, 2015 at 3:45 am #

T E A M P L A Y———Together. Everyone Accomplishes More. —–

4. Karen
    July 11, 2015 at 12:54 pm #

This park looks great, I think we will have to make a day trip over to it soon. Other parks we love are pace setter in Sylvania, Carr park in Temperance, and Munson park in Monroe (very similar to imagination but wood and not as handicapped accessible).

• July 19, 2015 at 2:44 am #

I will be adding those playgrounds to my list. Thank you so much for sharing Karen!! You rock!! 😉

5. Emily
    July 16, 2015 at 3:45 am #

What is handicap accessible about this playground? Can wheelchairs go up the playset? Are there ramps?

• July 19, 2015 at 2:48 am #

Hi Emily!! You have great questions! And I have to be honest, the playground is no longer fresh in my memory. I do know they have swings….I will get back to you with a more thorough response ASAP.

6. Annie
    May 16, 2017 at 3:25 am #

Oak openings has a great park and newer playground for kids

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Wauseon’s Homecoming: An Affair to Remember | Mom on the go in Holy Toledo - August 2, 2015

[…] stumbled upon Imagination Kingdom, where my little princesses and prince had an absolute blast!! (Read all about it HERE). Thanks to that post I have had the pure delight and pleasure of meeting some remarkable people […]

2. 20 Kid Approved Ohio Destinations | Mom on the go in Holy Toledo - October 23, 2017

[…] Imagination Kingdom (Wauseon…pair this one with #2 for an awesome day trip) […]