Up for an adventure? Ready to explore? Rain or shine these underground galleries of majestic natural wonders are open! This is legit an extraordinary experience for the entire family. Why?Read more
Butterflies delicately dancing along a sea of vibrant blossoms, water whispering, anticipation escalating with each bend along the path, & the forest gifting a preverbal warm hug! Holden Arboretum is a retreat from the worry, uncertainty of our times, the urgency of screen life, and the concern over an unknown future. Holden Arboretum is a safe haven, a reminder that there is endless and abundant beauty in this world, it’s a place where your soul can relax and your inner child can play. And for us it was the perfect place to spend a milestone birthday, the big 10! It was the Imaginative Outdoor Fairy Land and Doors exhibit that initially piqued the interest of our birthday girl but the Canopy Walk was the frosting, and Emergent Tower the sprinkles on the cake!
Safe, Fun, & FREE! This Splash Pad checks all the boxes! Located at Bronson Park which is roughly 45-50 minutes away from Toledo, the Defiance Splash Pad is a mom’s dream comes true! You can bring in food, the equipment accommodates an entire family (baby-adult), and you can sunbathe or chill in the shade!
The Splash Pad is divided into 4 areas, there is the initial, large splash pad area where older kids & even adults can comfortably cool off alongside the younger kiddos, and there is a baby area, toddler area, & playground space.
You can pack snacks/picnic lunch and eat at shaded table. Or better yet, stop off beforehand at one of their local restaurants or coffee establishments (http://www.cabinfevercoffee.com/menu/ )
Defiance Ohio Splash Pad
Address: 2104 Power Dam Road Defiance, Ohio 43512
Hours: 9AM-9PM (Open through the end of September)
ADA Accessible: Splash pad is wheelchair & stroller friendly
Additional Amenities: Changing rooms & restrooms
Though, it should could come with a warning…it’s so much fun kids don’t want to leave! Be prepared for dirty looks and some crying when it’s time to go. That pout is classic, lol!
Interested in learning about more awesome places to take the kiddos this summer?
Click here to see Toledo Summer 2021 Bucket List
Click here to see Toledo Summer 2021 Splashpads, Waterparks, & Pools Guide
Imagine it….10 ladies, 2 hours, 1 awesome downtown! Cue the laughter, music, and pedal power!
What is The HandleBar Toledo? It’s a BYOB bar (cup holders provided) that you and 12+ of your closest friends literally pedal, like a bicycle, to make the bar go. It’s so basic, yet so unlike anything you’ve ever done before, you’ve just gotta try it for yourself.
A map is provided with various locations you can pedal to. Your group will have the opportunity to stop off at 3 different locations downtown. So it’s like 4 mini ‘Ladies’ Nights Out’ in one! You could stop off at….Wesley’s, Ye Old Cock n Bull, The Height…basically any place that your pedal power can take you within the allotted time! Just FYI, views of Toledo from The Height are gorgeous! (And, yes, I’m totally obsessed with this place).
You will have the best time EVER! It’s both, childlike fun & an invigorating adventure that’s close to home!
How it Works:
- Find out who is interested in attending (12 or more & you will want to book a private tour) & pick an available date on The HandleBar Toledo calendar.
- For the private group tour….the cost for a 2hr tour is $400 Friday/Saturday (10am-10pm) and $300 all other days (Mon-Fri. 12:30pm-10pm & Sunday and Saturday 10am-10pm). Thus, the cost per lovely lady is between $19-25 if you bring 16 people. (If you only have a few ladies attending then you can easily hop aboard one of the public individual tours, cost $20-$32 depending on the day, and each person books & pays for themselves).
- Be sure to dress for the weather, sign waiver online, & the HandleBar is a BYO bar so you can bring a beverage of choice (no glass or liquor), coffee, beer, wine, water, etc.
Did I make that confusing enough for everyone? LOL! If you click on the link above The Handlebar Toledo does a fabulous job of going over all the DEETS.
The HandleBar operates from March-November so don’t miss out on this epic Ladies Night Out idea…call up your girls & book the Bar today!
Whether you are looking for a fun family vacation, the perfect destination for a reunion with family and/or friends, or simply a day away from the mundane Maumee Bay State Park Lodge has all the amenities necessary to provide a custom catered experience. There is literally something for everyone, the fitness gurus, naturalists, the bookworm; those looking to jam pack their day with activities, and those who prefer a more leisure experience. Here is a list of the
10 Reasons Why Maumee Bay State Park Lodge is the Perfect Family Getaway
- Boardwalk– This is hands down my children’s (ages 5-10) favorite activity! They enjoy exploring, investigating, and observing all the swamp and marsh has to offer from the comforts of the boardwalk including, snakes, frogs, fish, birds, deer, raccoons, different habitats, butterflies etc. This is one nature walk that involves a lot of observing to keep your eyes peeled! The easy, two-mile Interpretive Boardwalk trail traverses swamp and marsh wetlands and has interpretive signs, an observation blind and tower. The boardwalk is wheelchair accessible. Additionally, the park offers two multi-use trails for walking, jogging, or biking: Trail – 6 Miles – Easy & Mouse Trail – 3 Miles – Easy
- Nature Center– Trautman Nature Center is equipped with inter-active displays, a programming auditorium, research laboratory and viewing windows. It is a state-of-the-art nature center staffed by a year-round naturalist. The boardwalk trail is adjacent to the nature center. Stop in for a visit before heading to the boardwalk so that you can learn about some of the habitats and wildlife that you will see on your boardwalk adventure!
- Swimming– Maumee Bay State Park Lodge & Resort offers your family the opportunity to swim year round! There is something absolutely breathtaking about looking outdoors and seeing inches of snow & large flakes falling while enjoying the warmth comfort, and pure fun the indoor pool offers. The indoor pool area also features kid-friendly splash park fixtures & whirlpools. You can also enjoy the seasonal swimming areas…outdoor pool & 2 beaches.
- Seasonal fun– Fishing, golfing, boating (rent a paddleboat or canoe), biking (no room for your bikes, no worries, you can rent bikes at the Bay), skiing (rentals available for cross-country skiing), sledding down the top-rated big hill, ice skating (rentals available), swimming in the outdoor pool, you name and Maumee Bay State Park probably offers it! (Hunting is permitted in adjacent Mallard Club Marsh Wildlife Area. A valid Ohio hunting license is required).
- Little Kid Space & Arcade– looking for some additional family fun or perhaps an opportunity to give mom & dad a break? (Mom & dad hit up the kiosk near the Water’s Edge Restaurant for a caffeinated beverage to enjoy while watching the little ones run off that excess energy) The little ones can enjoy the soft play area (for children 42” or shorter) with a pirate ship, they will have a whale of a tail of fun! While the big kids will enjoy all the fun to be had in the games & arcade area…also fun for the kids at heart.
- Courts– Game on! Enjoy a little friendly competition with your family/friends or invite other guest to join in the fun at one of the courts, volleyball, wallyball, racket ball, horseshoe, shuffleboard, lighted tennis, and/or basketball.
- Food– Pack Picnic- picnic areas with tables and grills can be found adjacent to the beach areas. Water’s Edge Restaurant, take in a breathtaking wraparound view of Lake Erie while enjoying a delicious culinary cuisine (Beer & Wine list is available). The menu offers something for everyone and kid friendly options too. Allow all your senses to be enveloped by the experience. (And their Sunday Brunch is AH-mazing!) Icebreaker Lounge– provides a relaxing nautical theme while you enjoy your favorite drink or a lighter meal with the family…fun atmosphere, music, pool table, and kids menu available. Bayside Snack Shop (seasonal)-perfect place to grab a quick bite to eat before or after a day spent in the great outdoors, includes a delicious menu featuring juicy burgers, hot French fries, tempting frozen treats and thirst-quenching beverages, the Bayside Snack Shop is a popular stop for families. Pro-shop Concessions– Whether you’re preparing to tee off, making the turn, or ready for the 19th hole, the concession stand at the Maumee Bay Pro Shop has you covered. Hot dogs, chips, ice-cold beverages and beer are waiting for you when you’re ready for a break.
- Fireplaces– wind down an unbelievable day with the beckoning crackle, warmth, and relaxation from one of Maumee Bay Lodge’s beautiful fireplaces. Enjoy the company of family and friends, share stories, play board games (several family-friendly games are available for complimentary use from the front desk), or cozy up to a great book (there is a free lending library in the main lobby).
- Entertainment- On selected dates from Memorial Day to Labor Day, the park’s Amphitheater features Saturday night entertainment. These events are free to the public and can include musical groups, magicians and more. All events start at 7:00PM. There are also movies running periodically in the lobby area, all rooms have cable, and be sure to check out the list of events going on when you arrive!
- Gift Shop & the amazing people who work at Maumee Bay Lodge– The kiddos absolutely adore the gift shop, there is such a lovely variety of items for children at various price points (so they can spend all $5 dollars they saved up) adults, birders, naturalist, wine aficionados, etc. And the Lodge would not be the amazing place it is without the AWESOME people who work there! Do stop at the front desk, ask your questions, inquire about activities going on, etc. It is the kind, compassionate, welcoming, and enthusiastic individuals who work at the Lodge; from the front desk, landscaping, the naturalist, housekeeping, waitresses, gift shop employees, etc. that make you feel like an extension of the Maumee Bay Lodge family that will make it hard to leave and in anticipation for your return.
And there is so much more…geocaching, massages, playground, birdwatching, etc. Plan your adventure today!!!
Day trip information– Day passes for Maumee Bay Lodge are $12 per person, children 2 and under are FREE; passes are available Sunday- Thursday 8am-10pm. The pass entitles you to everything at the Lodge for the day, the pools, play areas, fireplaces, courts, workout area, etc. You receive bands to be worn for access to the pools & key in order to enter the lodge through any of the entrances outside.
Kids Eat, Stay & Play Free
Their most popular family package makes its summer debut — with a twist! Book this special offer, and up to two kids 12 and under eat, stay and play free all summer long!
Fuel up for your memory-making day with breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the lodge restaurant, featuring kid-friendly menus that will please their palate — while keeping money in your pocket.
Plus, for each night of your stay, you’ll receive a Fun Buck that can be redeemed for fun family activities throughout the park for up to four people. You’ll receive a full menu of redemption choices upon check-in (options vary daily), but choices may include:
- S’mores kit with roasting sticks
- Trail kit including refillable water bottles, snacks, and maps
- Geocaching maps and clues
- Splash pack with pool noodles
- One hour of paddleboat or canoe use
- One hour of bicycle use
It’s never been easier or more affordable to spend your family vacation at an Ohio State Park. But book today — like summer, this offer won’t last forever.
To book online use Promo Code FREEPLAY* (Offer available May 27 through September 5, 2016).