Grab your calendars & tag your friends, mommas! Here’s this year’s list of fun, free, kid-friendly activities going on this Summer in Toledo & surrounding area!
Tag: Maumee Bay State Park
10 Reasons Why Maumee Bay State Park Lodge is the Perfect Family Getaway (Stays for A’s)
Whether you are looking for a fun family vacation, the perfect destination for a reunion with family and/or friends, or simply a day away from the mundane Maumee Bay State Park Lodge has all the amenities necessary to provide a custom-catered experience. There is literally something for everyone, the fitness gurus, naturalists, the bookworm; those looking to jam-pack their day with activities, and those who prefer a more leisure experience. Here is a list of the
10 Reasons Why Maumee Bay State Park Lodge is the Perfect Family Getaway
- Boardwalk– This is hands down my children’s (ages 5-10) favorite activity! They enjoy exploring, investigating, and observing all the swamp and marsh has to offer from the comforts of the boardwalk including, snakes, frogs, fish, birds, deer, raccoons, different habitats, butterflies etc. This is one nature walk that involves a lot of observing to keep your eyes peeled! The easy, two-mile Interpretive Boardwalk trail traverses swamp and marsh wetlands and has interpretive signs, an observation blind and tower. The boardwalk is wheelchair accessible. Additionally, the park offers two multi-use trails for walking, jogging, or biking: Trail – 6 Miles – Easy & Mouse Trail – 3 Miles – Easy
- Nature Center– Trautman Nature Center is equipped with inter-active displays, a programming auditorium, research laboratory and viewing windows. It is a state-of-the-art nature center staffed by a year-round naturalist. The boardwalk trail is adjacent to the nature center. Stop in for a visit before heading to the boardwalk so that you can learn about some of the habitats and wildlife that you will see on your boardwalk adventure!
- Swimming– Maumee Bay State Park Lodge & Resort offers your family the opportunity to swim year round! There is something absolutely breathtaking about looking outdoors and seeing inches of snow & large flakes falling while enjoying the warmth comfort, and pure fun the indoor pool offers. The indoor pool area also features kid-friendly splash park fixtures & whirlpools. You can also enjoy the seasonal swimming areas…outdoor pool & 2 beaches.
- Seasonal fun– Fishing, golfing, boating (rent a paddleboat or canoe), biking (no room for your bikes, no worries, you can rent bikes at the Bay), skiing (rentals available for cross-country skiing), sledding down the top-rated big hill, ice skating (rentals available), swimming in the outdoor pool, you name and Maumee Bay State Park probably offers it! (Hunting is permitted in adjacent Mallard Club Marsh Wildlife Area. A valid Ohio hunting license is required).
- Little Kid Space & Arcade– looking for some additional family fun or perhaps an opportunity to give mom & dad a break? (Mom & dad hit up the kiosk near the Water’s Edge Restaurant for a caffeinated beverage to enjoy while watching the little ones run off that excess energy) The little ones can enjoy the soft play area (for children 42” or shorter) with a pirate ship, they will have a whale of a tail of fun! While the big kids will enjoy all the fun to be had in the games & arcade area…also fun for the kids at heart.
- Courts– Game on! Enjoy a little friendly competition with your family/friends or invite other guest to join in the fun at one of the courts, volleyball, wallyball, racket ball, horseshoe, shuffleboard, lighted tennis, and/or basketball.
- Food– Pack Picnic- picnic areas with tables and grills can be found adjacent to the beach areas. Water’s Edge Restaurant, take in a breathtaking wraparound view of Lake Erie while enjoying a delicious culinary cuisine (Beer & Wine list is available). The menu offers something for everyone and kid friendly options too. Allow all your senses to be enveloped by the experience. (And their Sunday Brunch is AH-mazing!) Icebreaker Lounge– provides a relaxing nautical theme while you enjoy your favorite drink or a lighter meal with the family…fun atmosphere, music, pool table, and kids menu available. Bayside Snack Shop (seasonal)-perfect place to grab a quick bite to eat before or after a day spent in the great outdoors, includes a delicious menu featuring juicy burgers, hot French fries, tempting frozen treats and thirst-quenching beverages, the Bayside Snack Shop is a popular stop for families. Pro-shop Concessions– Whether you’re preparing to tee off, making the turn, or ready for the 19th hole, the concession stand at the Maumee Bay Pro Shop has you covered. Hot dogs, chips, ice-cold beverages and beer are waiting for you when you’re ready for a break.
- Fireplaces– wind down an unbelievable day with the beckoning crackle, warmth, and relaxation from one of Maumee Bay Lodge’s beautiful fireplaces. Enjoy the company of family and friends, share stories, play board games (several family-friendly games are available for complimentary use from the front desk), or cozy up to a great book (there is a free lending library in the main lobby).
- Entertainment- On selected dates from Memorial Day to Labor Day, the park’s Amphitheater features Saturday night entertainment. These events are free to the public and can include musical groups, magicians and more. All events start at 7:00PM. There are also movies running periodically in the lobby area, all rooms have cable, and be sure to check out the list of events going on when you arrive!
- Gift Shop & the amazing people who work at Maumee Bay Lodge– The kiddos absolutely adore the gift shop, there is such a lovely variety of items for children at various price points (so they can spend all $5 dollars they saved up) adults, birders, naturalist, wine aficionados, etc. And the Lodge would not be the amazing place it is without the AWESOME people who work there! Do stop at the front desk, ask your questions, inquire about activities going on, etc. It is the kind, compassionate, welcoming, and enthusiastic individuals who work at the Lodge; from the front desk, landscaping, the naturalist, housekeeping, waitresses, gift shop employees, etc. that make you feel like an extension of the Maumee Bay Lodge family that will make it hard to leave and in anticipation for your return.
And there is so much more…geocaching, massages, NEW playground, birdwatching, Storybook Trail, etc. Plan your adventure today!!!
Stays for A’s
Congratulations on a job well done! For every “A” a student receives on his or her report card, Maumee Bay Lodge will discount $10* off the Best Available room rate for up to five (5) A’s.
20 Kid Approved Ohio Destinations
The kiddos put together a list of their favorite Ohio destinations we have visited. The following destinations are fun family friendly destinations that were of particular interest to children ages 2-11 years of age & us kids at heart too! (Tip: When purchasing tickets for admission inquire about discounts, AAA, reciprocity, etc. We were able to get admission FREE at some of these thanks to our local memberships)
- Campbell’s Sweets Factory Tour (Cleveland…pair this one with #16 for an awesome day trip)
- Spangler Factory and Museum (Bryan…pair this one with #4 for an awesome day trip)
- Imagination Station (Toledo…pair this one with #18 for an awesome day trip) )
- Imagination Kingdom (Wauseon…pair this one with #2 for an awesome day trip)
- Sauder’s Village (Archbold)
- Castle (Loveland)
- Newport Aquarium (technically it’s in Kentucky but it is so close to Cincinnati)
- COSI (Columbus)
- Maumee Bay State Park & Lodge (Oregon Ohio)
- Armstrong Air & Space Museum (Wapakoneta)
- Young’s Jersey Dairy (Dayton…pair this one with #20 and/or #12 for an awesome day trip)
- National Museum of the U. S. Air Force (Dayton…pair this one with #11 and/or #20 for an awesome day trip)
- African Safari Wildlife Park (Port Clinton)
- Cedar Point (Sandusky)
- Kalahari (Sandusky)
- Christmas Story House Tour (Cleveland…pair this one with #1 for an awesome day trip)
- Kings Island (Cincinnati)
- Toledo Museum of Art’s Family Center (Toledo…pair this one with #3 for an awesome day trip)
- Toledo Zoo Aquarium (Toledo)
- Boonshoft Museum (Dayton…pair this one with #11 and/or #12 for an awesome day trip)
Have some great memories of visiting an Ohio destination with your family? Do own/work at a must visit Ohio destination? Please share! As stated, we are currently working on our summer bucket list; we would love to hear your recommendations.